Class 5 Maths plays a crucial role in developing the core foundation for higher grades. It solidifies the mathematical understanding of concepts based on geometry, place value, measurement and fractions. The Class 5 maths syllabus helps students to gradually shift their concrete mathematical knowledge into abstract concepts and topics. Thus, studying each and every topic covered under class 5 maths is important for students.
Class 5 Maths Syllabus
Class 5 Maths syllabus is thoroughly prepared to help young learners acquire basic mathematical concepts with ease. The Class 5 Maths syllabus comprises topics related to fractions and more. Here is the complete syllabus of Class 5 Maths.
Geometry: Shapes & Spatial Understanding
- Getting the feel of perspective while drawing a 3D object in 2D.
- Getting the feel of an angle through observation and paper folding.
- Identifying right angles in the environment.
- Classifying angles into acute angles, obtuse angles and right angles.
- Representing acute angles, obtuse angles and right angles by drawing and tracing.
- Exploring rotations and reflections of familiar 2D shapes intuitively.
- Exploring symmetry in familiar 3D shapes intuitively.
- Making the shapes of cubes, cylinders and cones using nets specially designed for this purpose.
Number (Numbers and Operations)
- Determining place value of numbers beyond 1000.
- Appreciating the role of place value in addition, subtraction and multiplication algorithms.
- Using informal and standard division algorithms.
- Understanding the significance of place value in algebraic operations.
- Adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing big numbers.
- Brackets and Multiplication.
- Estimating and Rounding numbers of decimal values.
- Factors and Multiples
Estimating sums, differences, products and quotients and verifying using approximation.
- Finding the fractional part of a collection.
- Comparing fractions
- Identifying equivalent fractions.
- Estimating the degree of closeness of a fraction to known fractions. (1/2, 1/4, 3/4)
- Using decimal fractions in the context of units of length and money.
- Expressing a given fraction in decimal notation and vice versa.
Applying the 4 arithmetic operations in solving maths problems based on money.
- Determining the area and perimeter of simple geometrical figures.
- Applying the four operations in solving problems involving length, weight, and volume.
- Relating commonly used larger and smaller units of length, weight, and volume and converting one to another.
- Applying simple fractions to quantities.
- Converting fractional larger units into complete smaller units.
- Appreciating volumes of a solid body, intuitively and by informal measurement.
- Using addition and subtraction in finding time intervals in simple cases.
- Collecting 2-dimensional quantitative data.
- Representing the data in the form of a table.
- Drawing a bar graph or a pictograph to present data.
- Identifying patterns in square numbers and triangular numbers.
- Relating sequences of odd numbers between consecutive square numbers.
- Making border strip and tiling patterns.
The 5th class Maths syllabus can be covered by following the topics given above and also by relating the topics with the day-to-day scenarios. This will make the topic interesting and also help the students gain confidence while solving the questions.
Develop Class 5 Maths Skills
Class 5 maths focuses on developing various real-life skills in students. At this primary stage, students progress in their basic mathematical skills such as measuring values, determining multiples, factors, and time. A thorough understanding of these Class 5 maths concepts can be implemented through various interactive activities and visualization.
In Class 5 maths, children learn to work comfortably with numbers up to 1000. They practice different methods of division of numbers, finding factors and multiples. As students learn numbers till 1000, they understand the concept of ones, tens and hundreds place value of numbers under this range. Parents should help them build this important concept through the pictorial representation of numbers in the form of blocks and bars. Slowly they will form the basic skills of recognizing patterns in numbers and understanding place value.
Practice Sequencing and Pattern
Practice sequencing develops the innate ability of students to recognize and store math procedures and number sequences. Encourage students to practice sequence and recognize patterns through various activities.
Build Concept of Money
Building the concept of money in children is important. Ask them to fill their piggy banks with spare change and join him/her in emptying them each month. Help your child to estimate, sort and compare the notes/coins by denomination. This will also promote the basic math skills of counting, arranging and value recognition.
Class 5 Maths Tips and Tricks
Connect mathematical concepts with routine activities like playing, working, shopping and so on. Let your child club a few objects into a group or part them into separate groups. Such challenges will encourage them to visualize the practical use of multiplication and division in life. It is also helpful in promoting their interest in mathematics.
Solve Maths Puzzles
Playing math puzzles is a great way to acquire important computational skills. Most of these math puzzles include achieving milestones by applying simple math concepts. By solving these puzzles students can gain numerous math skills based on multiplication, division, factorization and so on. There are various types of math puzzles available both offline and online to help students enhance their mathematical knowledge and skills with ease.
Apply Maths in Everyday Life
It's quite interesting for students to explore and apply math concepts in their everyday life. Let the child apply math concepts in some routine activities like measuring the ingredients of a recipe, estimating the price of their stationery, determining the time between two events, and many others. This will give them an opportunity to practically learn mental maths and then actually see it work.
Class 5 Maths Worksheets
Solving Class 5 maths worksheets helps the students to pay attention and focus on the subject and improve their reasoning skills. These worksheets are prepared in such a way that the students learn how to solve maths problems on a regular basis and within a defined time frame. These worksheets cover all the topics of class 5 maths and help the students develop confidence and learn time management.
Solved Examples on Class 5 Maths
Write any ten multiples of 6.
Ten Multiples of 6 = 6, 12, 18, 24, 30, 36, 42, 48, 54, and 60
A baby elephant drinks around 12 litres of milk everyday. How much milk does it drink in a week?
Quantity of milk that the baby elephant drinks in a day = 12 litres;
1 week = 7 days
Quantity of milk it drinks in a week = 12 × 7 = 84 litres.
Have questions on basic mathematical concepts?
Become a problem-solving champ using logic, not rules. Learn the why behind math with our certified experts
Book a Free Trial Class
Practice Questions on Class 5 Maths
Check Answer >
go to slidego to slide
FAQs on Class 5 Maths
What are the Chapters in Class 5 Maths?
The chapters that are covered in Class 5 Maths are given as follows.
- The Fish Tale
- Shapes and Angles
- How Many Squares?
- Parts and Wholes
- Does it Look the Same
- Be my Multiple, I'll be Your Factor
- Can you See the Pattern?
- Mapping your Way
- Boxes and Sketches
- Tenths and Hundredths
- Area and Its Boundary
- Smart Charts
- Ways to Multiply and Divide
- How Big? How Heavy?
How to Learn Class 5 Maths?
Students can learn class 5 Maths by following a regular routine in which they practice questions related to the topic every day. The following points show a few ways in which parents and teachers can help students learn how to do class 5 maths.
- Teachers and parents should always encourage the students so that they remain confident of themselves.
- The students should be encouraged to understand and identify the problems first and then any sort of help should be offered.
- It is beneficial for the students to memorize the multiplication tables up to 12 to ease out calculations.
- If the students remain consistent in practicing the questions related the topic, it is always helpful in building up their accuracy and clearing the concepts.
- An easy way for the students is to solve class 5 maths worksheets on a regular basis. This helps them gain confidence and work upon those areas in which they are weak.
How to Solve Fraction Word Problems for Class 5 Maths?
Fraction word problems in class 5 maths are solved in the same way as the other word problems that are based on whole numbers. The only difference is that in fraction word problems, we need to use the rules of simplifying fractions as the case may be. The general rules for solving word problems are as follows.
- Read and analyze the word problem to understand what the problem is all about.
- Make a note of all the quantities that are given in the problem and all the quantities that the question wants us to find out.
- Think and plan the method or the arithmetic operation that will be applied to get the result.
- Solve the problem and verify your answer.
What is the Best Way to Teach Mental Maths for Class 5?
The following points list a few ways to teach mental maths to Class 5 students. Parents and teachers can make use of the following techniques to help the students.
- Try to create games related to the topic for the students so that their interest in the subject remains intact.
- Start with short assessments with smaller numbers and gradually shift to larger numbers.
- Set a timer for the students because this will allow the child to practice within that given time limit. Plan the time limit according to the accuracy of the students and then reduce the time limit as per their performance.
What are the Maths Topics for Class 5?
The class 5 maths topics that are covered in the syllabus are given below. A detailed list of the class 5 maths syllabus is given above on this page.
- Geometry: Shapes & Spatial Understanding
- Numbers and Operations
- Mental Arithmetic
- Fractional Numbers
- Measurement (Length)
- Data handling