What are Compare and Contrast Essays?
A Compare and contrast essay is an analysis of two or more subjects. A comparison of the similarities and contrast of differences is discussed between two or more subjects that are connected in a meaningful way.
The objective of compare and contrast essays is not to state the obvious but rather to find the minute differences and, unknown and unexpected similarities.
Let us take a small example here. Suppose you have to prepare a compare and contrast essay on the topic ‘Growing up in a nuclear family, v/s growing up in a joint family’ The essay should explore sub-topics on similarities, for instance, the presence of immediate relations (parents, siblings, etc). Additionally, it should discuss the differences like the social and emotional connection with grandparents, etc.
Building a Compare and Contrast Essay
To build a compare and contrast essay it is very important to choose subjects that have some relevance to each other. Compare the similarities that exist in 2 distinct but comparable topics. The similarities can vary in nature, scope, degree, and magnitude. The only rule of thumb is that some commonalities must exist.
The similarities, thus, become the basis of comparison. The other part discusses the contrast. As the name suggests, contrast refers to differences between the subjects in hand. As two unique topics of discussion, these subjects will have ample differences to discuss and elucidate. Therefore, compare and contrast essays are all about understanding and highlighting what is common and what is different between two topics.
How to pick Compare and Contrast Essay Topics for 2022?
Picking the right compare and contrast topics could be tricky at times as comparing two subjects that have nothing in common or subjects that are not related to each other in any way makes no sense at all. However, choosing identical subjects won’t work as well. In a situation like this, you will be unable to distinguish between the two.
For example, if you pick 2 subjects like “ Importance of Exercise”, “Rapid growth of E-commerce Websites”, or if we choose 2 subjects like “Importance of exercise” and “How physical activity can improve your health”, building a comparison and contrast essay for subjects like these is next to impossible. The reason simply is that these two subjects can neither be compared nor be contrasted.
Write a Winning Essay
Before writing an essay it is very important to think about what you are going to write and make a proper road map of how you are going to explain each point and in what sequence you are going to write your essay.
Break your essay into a proper section. Introduce your essay by highlighting why you think the subjects at hand should be compared and contrasted. Following this next would be to deal with the two sections on comparison and contrast. Again, divide these broader sections into subsections grouping together various categories of similarities and differences. TutorBin also helps you to write a Winning Essay
Use facts and figures to prove your points and make the essay reading more authentic. Give examples or stories which demonstrate the authenticity of your points. Be clear with what you want to write, do not write ambiguous statements. If you are clear about how the two or more subjects in hand are related and how they are similar or different from one another, writing a compare and contrast essay will be a piece of cake for you.
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics for 2022
At this point, it might be a good idea to take a sneak peek into the top Compare and contrast essay writing topics for 2021. Make sure to pick a topic that you can build both sides on. Simply focusing on either comparison or contrast will not solve your purpose.
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics for 2022 on Healthcare
- Free Health Care and Paid Health Care
- Vaccination vs Medication
- Compare two different roles in the field (nurse to doctor)
- Osteopathic and allopathic medicine: similarities and differences.
- Does the city need mobile first aid stations, or are there enough local hospitals
- Where is the best possible care for the sick – at home or in the hospital?
- Canadian Health Care and American Health Care
- Female vs male doctors
- Operations vs. therapeutic cancer curing.
- Should Vaccinations be made mandatory?
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics for 2021 on Technology
- Mac OS vs Windows
- Spotify vs Apple Music
- Social Media: Positive impact or negative impact
- Twitter vs Instagram
- Contrasting Features in Different Generations of Intel Processors
- Buying things online VS Buying things at a shopping mall
- Video Conference vs In-person meeting
- Apple or Google Pixel
- Machine learning or deep learning
- Comparison of different cloud services
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics for 2022 in College
- E-learning vs Classroom Learning
- School vs. College Writing Center: What’s New?
- Students, Who Work Vs Unemployed Students: Who Takes the Best of This Life?
- Research Paper and Essay: What Is More Responsible?
- Comparing Life with Parents to Living on Campus
- Part-Time Jobs Vs Seasonal Jobs
- Traditional classes vs Online Courses
- Bachelor’s Degree vs Associate degree
- College vs Job
- Fiction vs NonFiction
Get Essay Writing Service
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics for 2022 in Economy
- Do I need to study economics for business research or not
- Economic growth is important to improve life or not
- Importance of understanding economics vs no need
- Economics and Management: Similarities and differences
- Economy vs Economics
- Economics or business studies
- Economic upliftment vs better standard of living
- Economic growth or per capita income
- Rich and poor: differences and similarities
- GDP vs GNP
Topics for 2022 in Politics
- Which is better: Free trade or certified trade?
- Fascism vs Nazism
- Republicans vs Democrats
- Lincoln vs Washington
- Autocracy vs Democracy
- Oratory or Agenda in Politics
- Christian vs Islamic political thoughts
- Use of Technology in Politics
- American Government vs Soviet government
- Socialism vs communism
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics for 2022 in Education
- Ebooks vs Paper Textbooks
- Facts vs Truth
- Modern and Ancient Philosophers
- Homework help online or home tuitions
- Indian vs American education system
- Difference Between Ph.D. and Master’s Degree
- Oral learning vs written learning
- After school job or internship
- Vocational education vs academic education
- Biology Vs Chemistry
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics for 2022 on Sports
- Chess vs Checkers
- Aikido vs Judo
- Roger Fedrer or Rafel Nadal
- Ice climbing vs Traditional climbing
- Early morning workout vs late night workout
- Ballet Vs Breakdance
- American soccer vs basketball
- Ronaldo vs Messi
- Gymming vs sports
- Indigenous sports or modern sports
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics: Natural Sciences
- Similarities between Jupiter and Saturn
- Physics vs anatomy
- Fossil & nuclear energy
- The correlation between science and technology
- Disputable scientific claims
- The difference between the sun & moon
- Is it possible to live on other planets?
- Are hurricanes more dangerous than tornadoes?
- Can people apply theories in physics to interpret every life aspect?
- Which type of natural disaster does more harm: earthquake vs tsunami
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics for 2022 on Teenagers
- University or College: Which is better?
- Life in high school vs life in college
- Online tuitions or home tuitions
- Acting vs Lying
- Parental control vs Complete Freedom
- Spending money on education vs spending money on fun
- Math vs English: which class is easier?
- Childhood vs Adulthood
- Extracurricular activities vs academics
- Boys vs girls: differences in behavior
Other Compare and Contrast Essay Topics for 2022
- Virtual friends vs real friends
- Judaism Vs Christianity
- The way how people live in: Asia vs Europe
- Steve Jobs vs Bill Gates
- Are aliens real or not?
- Pizza or Burger?
- Comic books vs Tv shows
- Netflix vs Amazon Prime
- Harry Potter: Book vs Movie
- Summer vs Winter
Are you still worried about writing that essay?? Stuck with an essay, and the deadline is approaching?? Do you require immediate essay writing help?? Don’t worry!! TutorBin is there to help you, just submit your queries, and our expert Tutors are there to help you. Our expert writers have in-depth knowledge about a range of subjects and can deliver state-of-the-art essays on the top compare and contrast essay topics for 2021. So if you ever find yourself stuck and unable to write the top essays, count on us. We will ensure that you submit the best compare and contrast essays and get the best grades.
Get Essay Writing Service
- Homeschool vs. attending public school.
- Spring vs. fall nature walks.
- Fast food vs. home cooking.
- Working at home vs. working in an office.
- Buying food vs. growing your own food.
- Video games vs. movies.
- Movies in the theater vs. movies at home.
- Standardized testing vs. grades.
For example, if you wanted to focus on contrasting two subjects you would not pick apples and oranges; rather, you might choose to compare and contrast two types of oranges or two types of apples to highlight subtle differences. For example, Red Delicious apples are sweet, while Granny Smiths are tart and acidic.What is a good compare and contrast essay? ›
The key to a good compare-and-contrast essay is to choose two or more subjects that connect in a meaningful way. The purpose of conducting the comparison or contrast is not to state the obvious but rather to illuminate subtle differences or unexpected similarities.What is the best thing Compare for life? ›
Life is a river-always flowing. Life is like a seed: It will never grow unless planted, nourished and nurtured. Life is like an elevator, with lots of ups and downs. Life is like an onion.How do you start off a compare and contrast essay? ›
Begin with a topic sentence that explains one area of comparison between your first subject and your second subject. For example, if your subjects are two different countries and your paragraph topic is political structure, you can start by broadly describing each country's political processes.How do you start a compare and contrast essay example? ›
The introductory paragraph should outline the topic you want to cover and provide insight into your main idea. It should mention what matters—the people, ideas, events, or other subjects you are going to compare and contrast in the body of your essay. In the introduction, include the necessary background information.What are some good topics for compare and contrast? ›
- E-learning vs Classroom Learning.
- School vs. ...
- Students, Who Work Vs Unemployed Students: Who Takes the Best of This Life?
- Research Paper and Essay: What Is More Responsible?
- Comparing Life with Parents to Living on Campus.
- Part-Time Jobs Vs Seasonal Jobs.
Ask: How did I compare and contrast two animals in the sentences? Students should respond that you used compare key words such as similar, at the same time, and likewise. You used contrast key words such as in comparison to, in contrast, and rather.What is compare and contrast ideas? ›
One of the most common is the comparison/contrast essay, in which you focus on the ways in which certain things or ideas—usually two of them—are similar to (this is the comparison) and/or different from (this is the contrast) one another.What are some contrast examples? ›
Contrast often means “opposite”: for example, black is the opposite of white, and so there's a contrast between black ink and white paper. But contrast can also happen when the two things are just very different. For example, cats and dogs are definitely a contrast, but they're not opposites.
comparison noun [C or U] (EXAMINING DIFFERENCES)
the act of comparing two or more people or things: They made a comparison of different countries' eating habits. By/In comparison with the French, the British eat far less fish. You can't really draw a comparison between the two cases - they're entirely different.
- Step 1: Choose a Compare and Contrast Topic. ...
- Step 2: Select Similarities and Differences. ...
- Step 3: Find Supporting Details and Evidence. ...
- Step 4: Outline Your Compare and Contrast Essay. ...
- Step 5: Write Your Compare and Contrast Essay or Paper.
The comparative form is used to compare two people, ideas, or things. The superlative form with the word "the" is used to compare three or more. Comparatives and superlatives are often used in writing to hedge or boost language.How can I choose my topic? ›
- Choose a topic that you are interested in! ...
- Narrow your topic to something manageable. ...
- Review the guidelines on topic selection outlined in your assignment. ...
- Refer to lecture notes and required texts to refresh your knowledge of the course and assignment.
- Talk about research ideas with a friend.
- Importance of teacher in your life.
- SAT scores for college application.
- Student bullies should be expelled.
- Consequences of cheating in exams.
- Homeschooling is better than normal schooling.
- Importance of value education.
- Importance of sports and physical exercises.
- Schools vs colleges.
There are three degrees of comparison, positive (or negative), comparative, and superlative.What are the five points for comparison? ›
For the quantitative portion of the research, a five (5) point Likert scale was used as Strongly Disagree, Disagree, Neutral, Agree, and Strongly Agree, with numbers ranging from 1 to 5.What we can compare with life? ›
Answer. Life is like a book, The story is written and there are many difficulties which will be faced by a hero/heroine that is you. ... Life is like a road with puddles all around. ... Life is like a game of snakes and ladders.What is a good sentence starter for a compare and contrast essay? ›
To compare and contrast
In comparison … Complementary to this … Then again, … However, … This is in contrast to …
- Address Both Similarities and Differences.
- Make Sure You Have a Clear Thesis Statement.
- Use Clear Transitions.
- Structure Your Paper.
- Include Analysis.
- Make Analogous Comparisons.
- Related Webinar.
There are two ways to organize a comparison and contrast essay. The first (and often the clearest) method is the Point-by-Point method. The second method is called the Block method.How do you write a good comparison essay? ›
- Read the topic carefully. Make sure that you understand exactly what the topic is asking you to do. ...
- Give roughly equal weight to each text. ...
- Choose your preferred structure. ...
- Focus on differences as well as similarities. ...
- Use linking words and phrases. ...
- Explore a range of elements.
The main purpose of contrast is to underline ideas and explain their meanings, so readers can easily follow a story or argument. Through opposite and contrasting ideas, writers make their arguments stronger, which makes them more memorable for readers due to emphasis placed on them.What are the 3 obvious types of contrast? ›
- Value Contrast: Refers to the contrast between light and dark colors. ...
- Hue Contrast: Hue contrast refers to the contrast between different colors on the color wheel. ...
- Saturation Contrast: Refers to a contrast between saturated and dull colors.
A compare and contrast essay discusses that similarities and differences between two subjects. The two main methods for organizing your ideas within the essay are the point-by-point method (five paragraphs) and the block method (four paragraphs).What are topic sentences? ›
The "topic sentence" is the sentence in which the main idea of the paragraph is stated. It is unquestionably the most important sentence in the paragraph. The topic sentence generally is composed of two parts: (a) the topic itself and (b) the controlling idea.How do you write a compare and contrast essay for high school? ›
To write a compare and contrast essay, you should first create a Venn diagram to identify the similarities and differences between the objects. Once you have that completed, you can then create an outline that will serve as your template for the essay.What are the 7 elements of contrast? ›
Johannes distinguished seven types of contrast. saturation, temperature, simultaneous, proportion, luminosity, hue and complementary colors.What is the easiest way to add interesting contrast? ›
Contrast with Dark and Light Colors
Playing lighter and darker colors off of each other is one of the easiest ways to add contrast and make certain parts of your design more visible. As a simple example, think of dark text on a light background—or vice-versa, as with this design.
She was in striking contrast to Wolf Larsen. He was in every way a contrast to the other. He felt acutely the contrast between his own life and his friend's and it seemed to him unjust. Ladylike in exquisite contrast.
This is done by finding common themes, or points of comparison in Article A and Article B. Once you find those points of comparison, you can discuss each individual theme and how each shows up in Article A and B. Consider the following questions: What major themes are discussed in each of the essays?How should I start my compare and contrast essay? ›
Write An Introduction
To start a compare and contrast essay, you will need to write a solid introduction that transitions into a clear and specific thesis sentence. The introductory paragraph should outline the topic you want to cover and provide insight into your main idea.
The five-paragraph essay format is a guide that helps writers structure an essay. It consists of one introductory paragraph, three body paragraphs for support, and one concluding paragraph. Because of this structure, it has been nicknamed the “hamburger essay,” the “one-three-one essay,” and the “three-tier essay.”What are the 5 types of contrast? ›
- Tonal contrast: dark vs. light. Also known as tonal contrast, this is probably the most known type of contrast. ...
- Colour contrast: warm vs. cold. ...
- Colour intensity: bright vs. subdued. ...
- Size matters: big vs. small. ...
- Meaning: old vs. new.
- Despite the fact that the weather is bad, I love London.
- In spite of the fact that the weather is bad, I love London.
- I love London despite the fact that the weather is bad.
- I love London in spite of the fact that the weather is bad.
- Overview. A compare and contrast paper discusses the similarities and differences between two or more topics. ...
- Address Both Similarities and Differences. ...
- Make Sure You Have a Clear Thesis Statement. ...
- Use Clear Transitions. ...
- Structure Your Paper. ...
- Include Analysis. ...
- Make Analogous Comparisons. ...
- Related Webinar.
Comparing two things
“She's a lot more intelligent than him.” “This car is much faster than the other one.” “They are much less wealthy than they used to be.” “He's a little taller than his sister.”